About the course
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
Knowledge: The candidate:
- has knowledge of how cultural differences may affect business communication
- has knowledge of the role of English in business communication
- is familiar with presentation strategies and techniques, the structure of business meetings and approaches to negotiation.
Skills: The candidate:
- can use appropriate English vocabulary in oral communication in formal and informal business situations (e.g. presentations, negotiations, socialising)
- can write and evaluate cover letters and CVs in English
- can use appropriate register (formal/informal) in formal and informal business situations
General competence: The candidate:
- can plan and carry out individual assignments in accordance with ethical requirements and principles
- can communicate about important academic subject matters such as theories, problems and solutions, both in writing and orally
- can exchange informed opinions others with a background in the field, thereby contributing to the development of good practice
- Written communication (e.g. CVs, emails, cover letters)
Organisation and teaching methods: Teaching takes the form of interactive lectures and seminars, with pair/group work. The learning platform Fronter is used for course information and guidance. The course requires regular and active participation in seminars as well as in work with exercises in and out of class.
Course requirements that must be approved before being eligible to sit the examination:
- Completion of up to 5 assignments, as specified in the semester plan. These assignments must be approved by the teacher no later than two weeks before the examination.
- A minimum of 80% attendance. Students are responsible for ensuring that their attendance is registered.
Assessment methods: An oral examination, individually or in pairs, graded on a scale from A to F. A is the highest pass grade and E is the lowest pass grade.
Academic responsibility: Faculty of Business Administration