The press release is an important part of disseminating your doctoral thesis to the outside world. You yourself write the draft content of the press release by using the press release form, and the department of communications ensures publication on inn.no and distribution to the press.
Tips for writing a press release
A press release should contain new information. Explain what your research has to offer people outside your academic field. Think about social benefits. Think about usability. Think of concrete examples.
- Headline: Create a good and short title that captures the interest
- The main thing first: Start with the conclusion – what have you discovered?
- Highlight: Concentrate on one main point, not the entire thesis
- Avoid details: Think key facts – avoid reservations and clarifications
- Active sentences: Use direct language, avoid generalizations and passive forms
- Write succinctly: One-third of a page with single line spacing (max 1500 characters including spaces)
Write simply: use everyday language, avoid discipline-specific expressions
Quote yourself: Feel free to use your own wording or quotations from the thesis
Please read aloud the draft press release for a friend who is not an academic. If the text is well suited for reading aloud, it will almost always flow well in written form as well.
Take a look at the public defences overview at inn.no to see how previous articles / press releases have been formulated.
Submission of press release form
A press release form is to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, together with an electronic photo (jpg) of yourself.
Remember to include the following, as well:
- Names of supervisors
- Name of opponents and committee
- Time and place of the public defence
- Title of the trial lecture
- Link to the thesis in Brage
The department of communications publishes the news case on inn.no and sends the press release to a number of editors approximately one week before the public defence.