Language: NOR | ENG

How to finance your studies

Exchange students enjoying grand the view from one of the mountains

Student budget

To live comfortably in Norway, students should have a budget with a minimum of NOK 10000-12000 each month. Non-EU/EEA students (exchange and full-degree) need to prove that they have sufficient funds to receive admission. This is not required for exchange students on grants from an EU/EEA institution. 

Recommended monthly budget

  • Accommodation - starting from NOK 4.000 (on-campus housing)
  • Food and transportation - NOK 2.500
  • Books and supplies - NOK 1.000
  • Gym, entertainment, health care, etc. - NOK 2.500

These estimated costs will vary according to the type of accommodation, books/supplies needed etc. It is recommended to make a budget during the exchange/studies, which shows personal consumption.

Scholarships and grants

Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences (INN University) does not offer scholarships/grants to exchange or full-degree students. To view other possible scholarships and grants that may be applicable for you, view

Finding a part-time job

Be aware that finding a part-time job in Norway can be quite challenging. Most part-time jobs require a high level of Norwegian language proficiency. Jobs that may be of relevance for international students are waiter/waitress/cook/dishwasher in a restaurant/bar, cleaner, tour guide, babysitting for international couples, warehouse work etc. 

Not all jobs are advertised through online job portals as,, Visit employers in the Campus city/city closest to the Campus with the CV and Cover Letter. Employers may be hiring, but do not always advertise it online. Remember to dress properly.

For additional tips related to the resume and application, contact the International Office. Make sure to have a draft of both documents.

Tips for the CV

  • Keep it clean and simple. Adding too many design elements is not needed.
  • Do not include fancy words (adjectives) that cannot be confirmed by the references. 
  • Do a spell check and make sure that there are no grammatical errors (words, spaces, letters, dots, etc.). Nobody likes to read a sloppy CV. 
  • Use a "professional" picture. Make sure that to be well dressed.
  • Never provide any personal information such as the full identification number and bank account number.
  • Make sure to highlight skills and positive aspects.
  • Focus on 2-3 references who can confirm what is written in the CV. 
  • Adapt the CV to each employer/job.

Tips for the Cover letter

  • Focus on education and experience, and how it is relevant for the job. Documentation confirming the experience/education from employers/institutions/others should be prepared in English.
  • Never provide the original documents. The employer might request copies of the documents unless the job description states that it needs to be included.
  • Inform of relevant interest relevant to the job.
  • Be humble.
  • Do not shorten words: I'm -> I am, it's -> it is, that's -> that is etc. Be professional and polite. 
  • Do not use abbreviations without providing the whole name. E.g., Write INN University first as "Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences (INN University)".

Work permit

EU/EEA students only need to register with the Police to start working part-time in Norway. No working hour limitation.

Non-EU/EEA students can work part-time up to 20 hours per week, and full-time during holidays, during their first year of study. A study permit must be granted to have the right to work. For more information, visit UDI's web-page.

To receive wages for a part-time job, students must apply for a Tax Deduction Card and Norwegian bank account. 

NB: Be aware that the work permit is not automatically renewed with the residence permit. Students need to document satisfactory progress in their studies to continue working up to 20 hours per week.

Is a D-number/Norwegian national identification number needed to have a job in Norway?

Yes. To open a bank account and receive wages, one needs to have a D-number or a Norwegian national identification number. 

  • EU/EEA students staying less than 6 months are not granted a D-number upon registering with the Police after arrival. This identification number will be granted together with the Tax Deduction Card. Students staying longer than 6 months will be granted a Norwegian national identification number after they have registered their immigration to Norway.
  • Non-EU/EEA students are granted a D-number/Norwegian national identification number upon registering at the Police station and completing their residence permit. 

When you have found a job

Be aware that the whole process (including registering with the Police/completing the study permit application) might take several months.

Tax Deduction Card

Everyone working in Norway is obliged to pay taxes on their earnings. Check out the Norwegian Tax Administration's web-page for information on how to obtain the card and work in Norway. Appointments with the Tax Office can be booked online. Bring the following documents:

  • The completed application form (RF-1209)
  • The passport / national ID card
  • A residence card (non-EU/EEA)/registration certificate (EU/EEA).
  • An employment contract or written offer of employment.

NB: Students cannot be granted a Tax Deduction Card without having a job/a job offer. The employer is not responsible for requesting a tax deduction card on the student's behalf. If one does not obtain one, the employer will withhold 50% of the wages. 

Norwegian bank account

To receive wages earned in Norway, one needs to have a Norwegian bank account. Only students with a Norwegian National Identification Number/D-Number can apply for a bank account.

How to get a Norwegian bank account:
  1. Register with the Police Station / complete the study permit application (step 2) and receive the residence card.
  2. Apply for a Tax Deduction Card.
  3. Contact a local bank to generate an account. The process takes less time with a local bank than a regional bank.