Study permit and visa

EU/EEA-citizens & Switzerland

Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland do not have to apply for a residence permit or visa, but are required to register at a local immigration office (if staying in Norway for more than 3 months).

In order to book an appointment at the immigration office in Norway, please register first online here:

At given time and date upon arrival in Norway you will be asked submit in person at the local immigration office the following documents:

  • Letter of Admission
  • Housing contract or proof of accommodation
  • Passport or National ID-Card
  • European Health Insurance Card or proof of other private health insurance coverage

EXCEPTION: Danish, Finnish, Icelandic and Swedish citizens do not need to apply for a residence permit. They must only report a move to Norway, through the National Registry. More info will be given upon arrival. 

Non-EU/EEA-citizens residing in the EU

You have to apply for a residence permit in Norway, even if you hold a residence permit from another Schengen member country. You are only allowed to stay for up to 90 days in other Schengen country, which is not the country that has issued your residence permit. 



All Non-EU/EEA students have to apply for a residence permit or visa from home ( view the complete list of visa-free countries). For more information on how to apply for a residence permit/visa please check the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) or contact the nearest Norwegian Embassy/Consulate. Students must apply for a residence permit for studies as soon as they receive their Letter of Admission from Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences (INN University). 

Students who enter Norway without the necessary permit will not be allowed to remain in Norway.


How to apply for a residence permit

Fill in the application form for "first time residence permit" and follow the instructions. This often includes applying through the nearest Norwegian Embassy/Consulate in your country of residence. UDI's website is very helpful and gives nationality specific guidelines regarding your application. 

Be sure to include the following documents together with the application form:

  1. The signed cover Letter from the Application portal - the cover letter is the attachment you received via email when you registered your application online. Please print it and bring it with you
  2. Passport and copy of all used pages in passport 
  3. Two new/recent passport size photos with white background
  4. Letter of Admission from INN University
  5. Documentation of financing (Certificate of Eligibility, CoE) - students coming from outside the EU/EEA countries need to document that they have sufficient funds along with the application of student residence permit.
    • Full-degree students are asked to deposit the required amount by UDI in the deposit account of INN University and a confirmation will be issued by INN University.
    • Bilateral exchange students from outside of the EU/EEA countries, are not required to deposit money to INN University. The students however, must submit a bank statement to the International Coordinator before the application deadline. Please see the Documentation of financing webpage for more information
  1. Documentation which shows that you have somewhere to live in Norway
  2. UDI's checklist, filled out and signed

INN University's organisational number: 918108467

Should you have any problem receiving an answer regarding your residence permit application in due time, please contact the Norwegian Embassy/Consulate in your home country. Please note that an application fee of 5.300 NOK (2018/2019) will be charged from the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) upon submission of application.

The appointment has to be either during the first seven days you are in Norway, or the first available appointment you can find.