Language: NOR | ENG

Health insurance

Students from the European Economic Area (EEA) and the European Union (EU)

All students from EU/EEA countries should have health insurance from their home country. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) documents that you are entitled to medical treatment during your stay in Norway (and other EEA countries and Switzerland). It does not include dental care or prescription drugs. If you decide to use private health insurance, please check with your insurance company if your coverage includes Norway.

The EHIC card entitles you to get the cost of your treatment in Norway reimbursed by your national health provider back home.

Students from countries outside the EEA/EU

All students from countries outside the EU/EEA should have private or public health insurance before travelling to Norway.

Mandatory Tuberculosis Chest X-Ray

Norwegian law requires all nationals from outside EEA/EU who will be residing in Norway more than three months to book an appointment to take a chest x-ray within two weeks after arrival. Some will be asked to take a tuberculosis test.

  • Exceptions: Students from Switzerland, Lichtenstein, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
  • Exceptions to the exception: Students from Lithuania and Romania are required to take the tuberculosis test.

The examination is done at a one of the local health stations (nor. helsestasjon). Students will receive an invitation directly from the health services nearest to your campus. Remember to bring your passport (ID card). If you cannot meet at your appointed time then you MUST cancel with a 24-hour notice. If you do not meet at your appointed time, you will receive a bill in the mail.

For the updated list, please click here.

Be advised that all international students (as well as Norwegian residents) have to pay a fixed part of the cost of public health services, called patient charges (between 150 and 350 NOK) which is non-refundable. This applies to medical treatment and buying prescribed medicines.

Additional insurance for students from outside the EEA/EU

Students from non-EU/EEA countries can become members of the National Insurance Scheme. If the duration of your stay in Norway is more than one year, you automatically become insured under the National Insurance Scheme when you register as a resident in Norway with the National Registry

Staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months

  • If the duration of your stay in Norway is between 3 and 12 months you can apply for voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme. You should have private or public health insurance to cover the first weeks in Norway.

Please note that students who do not fill in this form or students who are staying in Norway for less than 3 months should have a social security coverage from their home country.

How to apply:

  • Fill in the form entitling you to social security coverage (PDF) with regard to health services in accordance with the National Insurance Scheme.
  • Submit the following documents:
    • Letter of Admission
    • Passport
    • Residence permit card
    • Norwegian ID number (or you must apply for a D-number while submitting the application)

Send the form to the Insurance Office (not International Office at INN University) in the municipality in which you are staying (view  local NAV offices).