Language: NOR | ENG

Moving to Norway

Things to remember when moving to Norway:

After having been appointed at Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences, you should apply for a visa and a work permit as soon as possible. For more information on work permits visit the website of The Directorate of Immigration (UDI)

Before moving to Norway we also advice you to contact your local employment, social security and tax office to find out how going to Norway will affect you status as regards taxes and benefits. It is also important that you bring your passport/valid ID-card.

Register with Immigration

  • In general, you have to register within 7 days of your arrival in Norway at the Immigration Office at the Police Department. You will need to register with the police, the Immigration Office at Hamar police station. You must always book an appointment in advance
  • EU citizens do not need to apply for a work permit, but need to register at the Immigration Office at the Police Department in Hamar.
  • Information about residence permits for you and your family

ID number (fødselsnummer) and registration with the National Population Register, and paying taxes

You will need a tax deduction card (electronic) if you intend to work in Norway. In order to get a tax deduction card you first need a national identity number (fødselsnummer). If you will be in Norway for a short period, you may be issued a temporary D number.

Both the national ID number and the temporary D number are 11 digits the national ID number starts with your birthdate and ends in 5 randomly generated digits. You'll need this number to get paid, to open a bank account and to pay taxes. For more information see  the Norwegian Tax Authority.

You can apply for a D-number or an ID number at National Register of Population in Hamar.
Address: Grønnegata 83/85, 2317 HAMAR. Tel. no: +47 80080000

Bring your passport and the residence card. Newcomers should make certain they have enough cash to cover expenses until they obtain one of these all-important numbers.

Once you have been issued an ID number, you must return to the Tax Office and apply for a tax card .

More information on taxation

Open a bank account

You need to open a Norwegian bank account. To open a bank account you must take along your passport, a passport photo and documentation that you have a D-number or personal identity number to the bank.